Advanced Radiation Therapies
- Conformal Radiotherapy (3-D CRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy/Image-Guided Radiation Therapy
- Cone Beam CT (CBCT) Tumor Targeting
- Elekta Versa HD for Radiosurgery (SRS) to Brain Lesions
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)/Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Electron Therapy for Skin/Superficial Radiation
- 4-D CT for Tumor Targeting
- VMAT for Rapid and Accurate Treatment Delivery
- Gold Fiducials for Tumor Localization
- Augmenix SpaceOAR Implantation to decrease side effects from radiation therapy for prostate cancer
- MRI, PET/CT Fusion for Accurate Tumor Targeting
VMAT for Rapid and Accurate Treatment Delivery
Technology such as the Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) system keeps the Rio Bravo Cancer Center on the cutting edge of cancer treatment. We have used VMAT regularly for the treatment of prostate, head and neck tumors, as well as a range of other cancers.
What are the Advantages of VMAT?
The main advantages of VMAT are precision and speed. VMAT focuses the radiation on the tumor while protecting healthy tissues. Each VMAT treatment is completed in less than two minutes. Faster treatments improve the accuracy of radiation delivery, in addition to improving patient convenience and quality of life.
VMAT uses photons (W-rays) generated by a medical linear accelerator. The idea is to deliver the maximum dose of radiation to the tumor while reducing the amount of healthy tissue affected. Very small beams with varying intensities are aimed at a tumor and then rotated 360 degrees around the patient. This results in attacking the target in a complete three-dimensional manner.
How is VMAT Treatment Performed?
VMAT Treatment involves 2 basic steps: treatment planning and delivery. As part of the treatment planning the medical team generates three-dimensional diagnostic images (usually CT and/or PET) of the patient’s anatomy and then uses these images to specify the dose of radiation needed to treat the tumor.
VMAT at Rio Bravo Cancer Center
At the Rio Bravo Cancer Center, our first priority is patient care. That’s why we continue to offer our patients the most advanced technologies available in the treatment of their disease. Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) technology represents another step in the fulfillment of our ongoing mission.