Advanced Radiation Therapies
- Conformal Radiotherapy (3-D CRT)
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy/Image-Guided Radiation Therapy
- Cone Beam CT (CBCT) Tumor Targeting
- Elekta Versa HD for Radiosurgery (SRS) to Brain Lesions
- Stereotactic Radiosurgery (SRS)/Stereotactic Body Radiation Therapy (SBRT)
- Electron Therapy for Skin/Superficial Radiation
- 4-D CT for Tumor Targeting
- VMAT for Rapid and Accurate Treatment Delivery
- Gold Fiducials for Tumor Localization
- Augmenix SpaceOAR Implantation to decrease side effects from radiation therapy for prostate cancer
- MRI, PET/CT Fusion for Accurate Tumor Targeting
ABOUT IMRT & IGRT
Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) is an advanced form of external beam radiation therapy that is delivered with astonishing accuracy to cancerous tissues in the body, using a computer-controlled, and highly technical device known as a “linear accelerator.” IMRT allows our radiation oncologists to “modulate” (or vary) the amount of radiation dose given to different parts of the cancerous area. The modulation is done with tremendous precision and three-dimensional detail, according to the shape, size and location of the cancerous tumor. This affords our patients the comfort of knowing they are receiving radiation only where it is needed, and that surrounding healthy tissue will be unaffected by the treatment.
Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) harnesses powerful computer technology to combine tumor imaging and cancer treatment on a single machine called a “linear accelerator.” Because cancerous tumors can move during treatment, IGRT provides high-resolution, 3-D images, allowing the radiation oncologists at Rio Bravo Cancer Center to view and track tumors while a patient is on the table. Knowing exactly where the tumor is allows our cancer treatment specialists to fine-tune patient positioning, compensate for motion and breathing, irradiate only the tumor and complete radiation treatment with greater accuracy than ever before.
At our state-of-the-art cancer treatment center, IMRT/IGRT radiation therapy is enhanced with Volumetric Modulated Arc Therapy (VMAT) radiotherapy technology by Elekta. VMAT sets a record for speed without compromising quality. In many cases, radiation treatments that once took 15 – 20 minutes can now be completed with a single revolution of the machine – often in less than two minutes.